Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Road to Nekemte

Boom. Flash. We were eating dinner at what is known as the nicest hotel in Nekemte and the rainy season had finally made its exuberant debut.

I will admit: my colleague and I definitely jumped. Nekemte, a vibrant city, 350 km to the West of Addis, is true Africa. It is the open markets and the dirt. It is the young and old and people moving, walking anywhere and everywhere. It rises out of nowhere, from the mountains and the lush green fields of teff, maize and sorghum. It is jumping and bustling, a sharp descent from another trip through God’s country.

Unlike my colleague who has traveled through Rwanda and Uganda and professes the road West of Addis to resemble her previous trips, I, myself, had never known such a journey. If I had to compare what I have seen in Ethiopia, Lalibela would be the dry peaks of the American southwest, while the mountain road West of Addis is the lush, green mountains I’d seen in parts of South Africa. But I hate to make a comparison that isn’t comparable.

The dirt is the perfect red-brown, and the people are poised to traverse the steep cliffs above and the muddy rivers below. They are tall and lean, with skin made to absorb the sun, the rain, and the dirt that only makes them seem more a part of the Earth. The green is tremendous and overwhelming. It feels as if the Earth has to be endlessly fertile and that the space around you will never end. It calms those aching, compulsive anxieties, and allows you to imagine a place where humankind could be born. This green universe could give birth to anything and everything, forever. It is only logical that the fertility rate remains high and many Ethiopians, despite their circumstance, continue and continue to procreate.

This natural wonder is punctuated, for the better and for the worse, by development. The road, the entire way from Addis to Nekemte is paved, which made the drive more pleasant, but also allowed for the easy passage of large trucks. They carry goods and materials, maybe to further the development of Addis. They dash precariously past, sometimes on the correct side of the road and sometimes almost not, their fumes lingering long after their descent down the mountain. Small- and medium-size villages arise every now and again, with the open-front storefronts and the same types of scenes that tend to characterize developing countries: animals wandering aimlessly; the shoeless, the shirtless, and the extraordinarily thin coupled with the young men and women in Western clothes who could be meandering down a street in Washington, DC. Many of them look at you in your ominous white SUV and you feel like a big gaping sore thumb invading what isn’t yours. At the same time, pastoralists with their herds block the road, some more accustomed to the passing traffic than others.

It was the new with the old: the heart of Africa, of the Earth, being pulled very slowly from itself.

When we finally arrived in Nekemte, seven hours later, we were ready to rest and eat. We walked into the hotel and were greeted by a strange smell. It was the mix of the ancient sauna on the lower levels (and the sweaty men using it), the Ethiopian meat being broiled in the restaurant, and the wet, humid air quickly moving in. Always sensitive to smells and still suffering from the nausea acquired in Lalibela, I shamelessly breathed conscious, shallow breaths.  When I got to my room on the third floor, I was met with at least 50 huge black moths that had entered the open window above the shower. Horrified at the sight of the insect tsunami, I asked for a room change.

I now sit at the penthouse level (floor 4) and I realize how sheltered I had let myself become since my hiatus in Niger and my trips abroad more than five years ago. Farmland Hotel has running water, a Western toilet, toilet paper, a real bed with linens, and even a television with four channels. I am staying in a country where the majority of people still live in abject poverty, female genital cutting persists, and girls are still forced to marry at an age when I was buying my first bra. I’ve become spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment